What we'll cover
What is a Screenshot?
A screenshot is a quick and high quality way to take a picture of what is being displayed on your device. It has many uses, but tends to be most useful when troubleshooting or describing an issue. For example, if you receive an odd error while using your computer, you could take a screenshot of it and then create a support ticket with that screenshot for us to take a further look into it for you.
Note: Taking a picture of your computer's screen using a camera is not a screenshot and results in low image quality.
Not a Screenshot
Applies to: Windows 7/8/8.1/10
This is the classic way of taking a screenshot of your whole screen and the only method we'll cover for Windows 7.
- Click the PrtScn or Print Screen key on your keyboard.
Note: If you're using a laptop, you may need to also hold down the fn key.
- Open the Start menu.
- Search for and open Paint.
- Press CTRL + V
- Click File > Save As
- Select an image format. If you're not sure which to use, PNG is generally a good choice.
- Choose where you want to save the file, change the image name (if desired), and then click save in the popup window.
Full Screen - Quick Version
Applies to: Windows 8/8.1/10
This easy method will create a screenshot that will automatically be saved in your Pictures under a Screenshots folder. Each screenshot will be named "Screenshot (x)", where x is the number of the screenshot. For example if you just took your fifth screenshot, it would be named "Screenshot (5)".
- Press and hold the PrtScn or Print Screen key and the Windows key on your keyboard at the same time.
Note: Have a tablet? Press and hold the Windows icon on the tablet and the volume down button at the same time. No Windows logo? Hold the power button and volume up button at the same time instead.
Applies to: Windows 10
- Press and hold the Windows, Shift, and S keys on your keyboard.
- A white overlay will appear on your screen along with a cross-hair cursor. Find the part of the screen you want to capture.
- Click and hold down your left mouse button over the spot you want to take a screenshot of, and then move your cursor into the other direction so it selects the part of your screen that you want captured.
- Once you have the section of your screen that you want to capture, release the right mouse button.