Google Drive is one of the most popular applications for storing files. Here's how you can setup your computer to automatically backup to it and sync your files between the two.
Setting up Backup and Sync
- If you don't already have a Google account, create one here.
- Find out how much storage you need.
- If you need more than 15GB of space, change your Google plan to one that has enough storage for all of your current files.
- Download Backup and Sync (free).
- Run the installer once downloaded.
- Close the "Installation complete" window and click "Get Started".
- Sign into your Google Account.
- Grant Google Drive the requested permissions by clicking "Allow".
- Click "GOT IT" on the pop up window.
- Google will automatically select the folders it believes you will want to backup. Review them and uncheck any you do want to be backed up. If some folders are missing, click "Choose Folder" and add them. You can also click on "Change" if you want Google to only back up specific files in these folders instead of all of them.
- Decide if you want to have photos and videos uploaded with in original or high quality and then select the option you want.
High Quality - up to 16MP photos and videos up to 1080p. If you have higher quality files than this, they will be resized. If you select this, videos and photos will not count toward your Google Drive storage.
Original Quality - The original size and quality the photo or video was created in. If you select this, videos and photos will count toward your Google Drive storage.
Read more about the two here.
- Choose whether or not if you want to also upload your photos and videos to Google Photos or if you want them to only be uploaded to Google Drive by checking/unchecking the check box.
- Click "Next"
- Choose whether or not you want to sync your Google Drive folders and files to your computer by checking/unchecking the check box. You can also click the "Change..." link if you want the Google Drive folder to be placed inside another folder than the one Google set by default.
- If you only want to sync some folders from Google Drive, select "Sync only these folders" and select the ones you want to sync.
- Click Start.
- The window will close and a popup will appear near the bottom right of your taskbar to indicate that your files are now being synced.
Note: If you delete a file on Google Drive or on your computer, by default Google will ask you if you want to delete the other copy. It will not automatically delete both files. However, you can change this in Backup and Sync's preferences.
Access your backed up files
- Go to https://drive.google.com.
- Click on the "Computers" link on the left hand side.
- Click on your computer from the dropdown menu.