What we'll cover
What OneDrive Does and Does Not Backup
Unlike other backup solutions, OneDrive does not automatically backup all of the files on your computer. Here's a list of what can and can't be backed up.
Can be backed up:
- Desktop folder
- Documents folder
- Pictures folder
- OneDrive folder
- Photos & Videos on external devices (i.e. a camera) connected to your computer.
Can't be backed up:
- Outlook database files (.pst)
- OneNote files not already stored in OneDrive (.one, .onepkg, .onetoc, .onetoc2).
- Any other folder not listed in the "Can be backed up" list.
Setting up OneDrive
- If you don't already have one, create a Microsoft account.
- Go to https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/download
- If you're on Windows 10, click "Start OneDrive". If a popup appears asking to open OneDrive, confirm you want to open it.
- If you're on Windows 7,8, or 8.1, download and install OneDrive.
- Enter in your email address and click sign in.
- If prompted, select whether you have a "Personal" or "Work or School" account
- Enter in your Microsoft account password and then click "Sign In"
- OneDrive will show you where your OneDrive folder will be located on your computer. Click Next
Note: By default it is placed inside your User folder. However if you want to change it, you can select "Change location" and select a different location for it.
- Microsoft will now give you a brief overview of how OneDrive works. Click on the right arrow button to go through all the steps.
- You will be given the change to download their OneDrive app for iOS, Android, or Windows Phone app. If you want to be able to access your OneDrive data from your phone, we recommend downloading the app by clicking on "Get OneDrive for your phone". Once you are done installing the app or if you're skipping it, click the next arrow on the bottom right.
- Click on the the "More" option with the three dots in the new window that opens.
Note: If a new window does not open, click on the cloud icon on the bottom right of your screen in your taskbar.
- Click on the "Backup" tab at the top of the window.
- If you want OneDrive to automatically backup external devices (i.e. camera, phone, etc.) when one is connected to your computer, check the box for Photos and videos.
- If you want to automatically backup screenshots, check the box for Screenshots.
- Click on the "Manage backup" button.
- Make sure that each folder you want backed up has a blue checkmark on the top right of it, indicating it was selected. You can click on each folder to uncheck/check it.
- Click "Start backup"
Accessing Your Backed Up Files
- Go to https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/signin/ and sign in to your Microsoft Account
- You will now be able to see and access all of your folders and files in OneDrive.