What edition of Windows 10 should I get?
Most users should get the Home edition, including gamers, video editors, and other power users. The Pro edition does not give you a performance boost, but rather gives you more features that are heavily designed for devices that are being managed by a school or business. You can find more information on the specific individual features below.
Pro Edition Features
Windows 10 Pro has all of the same features of Windows 10 Home, plus these extra ones:
- BitLocker device encryption - Encrypts your entire hard drive and requires authentication if your computer's hardware changes. For example, someone trying to access your data by connecting it to another computer.
- Windows Information Protection (WIP) - Helps prevent accidental information leaks by warning you when you're about to add work information to a personal file.
- Mobile device management - Allows a company's IT department to manage how a computer is used and delete data if needed (i.e. laptop is stolen).
- Group Policy - Can be used to apply rules to all users on a specific PC. For example, requiring passwords to be changed every 90 days.
- Enterprise State Roaming with Azure - Syncs application data and user settings across multiple windows devices. *Requires Azure AD Premium or Enterprise Mobility + Security (EMS) license
- Microsoft Store for Business - Allows companies to add and manage Microsoft store apps across all company devices.
- Dynamic Provisioning - Allows companies to setup a computer with specific company related settings.
- Windows Update for Business - Enables companies to determine how updates are handled, such as when they should be installed to minimize downtime.
- Kiosk mode setup - Limits a user so they can only access a single app. Used mostly for kiosks, such as one that allows you to check in for an appointment at a store or order food at a restaurant.
- Support for Active Directory - Used to connect and manage multiple computers together as a domain. *Requires Windows Server
- Support for Azure Active Directory - Allows the same user name and password to be used to access Windows, Office 365, and other Microsoft products. *Requires Azure Active Directory